Grain alcohols like Everclear are renowned for their strength and high alcohol content.
In this post, we’ll examine the flavor and strength of Everclear as well as some of its many applications.
What is Everclear?
Everclear is a type of grain alcohol that is known for its high alcohol content and potency.
It is typically made from corn, although other grains such as wheat or barley can also be used. Everclear is available in two different strengths: 75.5% and 95% alcohol by volume (ABV).
Due to its high alcohol content, Everclear is often used as a base for cocktails and mixed drinks, as well as in cooking, cleaning, and other applications.
However, it is important to consume Everclear responsibly and in moderation, as its high alcohol content can be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.
Strength of Everclear
Everclear is known for its high alcohol content, which can range from 75.5% to 95% alcohol by volume (ABV).
This makes it one of the strongest alcoholic beverages available, and it is often used as a base for cocktails and mixed drinks.
The high alcohol content of Everclear can be dangerous if consumed in large quantities, and it is important to drink responsibly and in moderation.
Flavor of Everclear
Everclear is a neutral-flavored alcohol, which means that it has little to no taste or aroma.
This makes it a popular choice for cocktails and mixed drinks, as it does not interfere with the flavor of other ingredients.
However, due to its high alcohol content, Everclear can have a harsh and burning sensation when consumed straight. It is often diluted with other liquids or used as a base for cocktails to make it more palatable.
Uses of Everclear
Everclear is a versatile alcohol that can be used in a variety of ways.
Here are some of the most common uses of Everclear:
- Cocktails and Mixed Drinks – Everclear is often used as a base for cocktails and mixed drinks due to its high alcohol content and neutral flavor. It can be used in a variety of cocktails, including martinis, margaritas, and Bloody Marys.
- Cooking – Everclear can be used in cooking to add flavor and alcohol content to dishes. It is often used in recipes for sauces, marinades, and desserts.
- Cleaning – due to its high alcohol content, Everclear can be used as a cleaning agent for surfaces and equipment. It can be used to clean glassware, countertops, and other surfaces.
- Tinctures and Extracts – Everclear can be used to make tinctures and extracts of herbs and other botanicals. The high alcohol content of Everclear allows it to extract the flavors and aromas of the botanicals more effectively than other alcohols.
- Hand Sanitizer – during the COVID-19 pandemic, Everclear has been used as a substitute for hand sanitizer due to its high alcohol content. However, it is important to note that Everclear is not a substitute for traditional hand sanitizer and should only be used in emergency situations.
- Home Brewing – Everclear can be used in home brewing to increase the alcohol content of beer or wine. However, it is important to use Everclear in moderation and to follow proper brewing techniques to ensure that the final product is safe to consume.
Regulations and Restrictions on Everclear
Due to its high alcohol content, Everclear is subject to strict regulations and restrictions in many states in the United States.
In some states, the sale of Everclear is banned outright, while in others it is only available for purchase in limited quantities or to licensed establishments.
It is important to check the regulations and restrictions on Everclear in your state before purchasing or using alcohol.