If you’re looking for maximum taste and flavor, you can’t go wrong with a Miami Vice. The drink combines two popular cocktails, the Strawberry Daiquiri and the Piña Colada, into one deliciously refreshing beverage. Aside from rum, the main ingredients are lime juice, fresh strawberries, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut, so you’re in for a very fruity treat.
History of the Miami Vice
Contrary to popular belief, the drink actually precedes the popular show about two vice cops in Miami. Instead, it was most likely named after the city where it originates and is served most often. Popularized in nightclubs and beach bars of the 80s and 90s, the cocktail is still often served today and reminds the drinker of lazy beach vacations.
The combination of the two equally refreshing cocktails is the perfect refreshment, no matter whether you’re at the beach or simply dreaming of your next trip. To get started, you’ll need some rum. Make sure you go with a well-known and high-quality brand because this liquor is required for both drinks, so it will feature prominently.
To stay true to the original recipe and create the freshest beverage possible, avoid ready mixes and go for fresh juices and fruit whenever possible. In terms of mixing the drinks, it’s traditional to pour the red Strawberry Daiquiri into the glass first and the white Piña Colada on top, but you can experiment with this and choose your favorite method. In any case, the split red and white look creates an impressive cocktail your guests will remember.
To create the best drink possible, use the following ingredients. Also, don’t forget that you’ll need ice, a blender, a hurricane glass, and a freezer readily available.
- Two ounces of rum
- One cup of chopped strawberries
- One ounce of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Half an ounce of simple syrup
- Two ounces of cream of coconut
- Two ounces of pineapple juice
- One pineapple slice as garnish
How to Make It
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, you’re ready to make your cocktail. Follow these six simple steps, then serve it to your guests while it’s still cold.
- Combine one ounce of rum with the strawberries, lime juice, simple syrup, and one cup of crushed ice, then blend the mixture until it is smooth
- Pour the resulting Strawberry Daiquiri into a hurricane glass and put it in your freezer while you make the Piña Colada
- Wash and dry your blender before using it again
- Add the rest of the rum, the cream of coconut, the pineapple juice, and another cup of crushed ice to your blender and blend the mixture
- Take your Daiquiri from the freezer and carefully add the second cocktail to it so that a layering effect is created.
- Add the pineapple slice as garnish
No matter what kind of party you’re throwing, this colorful and tasty cocktail is sure to be a hit. Aside from its fruity taste and unique look, you and your guests are going to appreciate the different ways it can be consumed – one component at a time or both mixed together for a blended taste. With the exotic juice and strong rum, you’ll be in a vacation mood in no time.