Invented in the mid-1800s, the Blue Blazer is steeped in cocktail history. This innovative and unique drink features high-proof scotch, lit on fire to create a flaming liquid that is sure to dazzle and delight your party guests.
The Blazer can be compared with the Hot Toddy, which is one of the most popular heated alcoholic drinks.
How to Make a Blue Blazer
The ingredients of the cocktail are very simple, and you will only need two mugs to mix it in. To make sure you’re safe, don’t forget to have your fire extinguisher and some wet towels at hand.
- 4 ounces of high-proof Scotch whisky
- 2 teaspoons of raw sugar or demerara
- 3 ounces of boiling water
- More boiling water to heat up the mugs
- 2 lemon twists as garnish
- Pour boiling water into two mugs to preheat them, but discard the water before adding the cocktail
- Make sure the area is clear of all flammable objects and lay down some damp towels underneath your work surface
- Add the whisky, sugar, and water to one of your mugs and light the mixture on fire
- Pour the mixture back and forth between the mugs a few times, being careful not to spill it
- Divide your drink between the two mugs, then extinguish the fire
- Garnish with the lemon twists and serve to your guests
History of the Blue Blazer
This cocktail was invented by the legendary barman Jerry Thomas in a gambling saloon in San Francisco during the gold-rush era.
Allegedly, he used to serve it when outside temperatures were under 50 degrees or when one of the patrons of the El Dorado saloon had a cold. He recorded it in his 1862 “Bartenders Guide” and since then, the recipe has spread all over the world.
Although it’s not a drink that can usually be found on the menu of bars or pubs, it’s an impressive party trick. Just remember to keep your fire extinguisher close at hand and remove all flammable objects before getting started.
About the Blue Blazer
While the creation and presentation of the drink are spectacular, the ingredients are quite simple. You can create this cocktail with just Scotch whisky and sugar, but it will be tastier if you also include some hot water and citrus. This way, it becomes a more elaborate version of the Hot Toddy.
To make sure you stay safe when preparing this masterpiece of a drink, keep the following safety tips in mind. Firstly, begin with a close roll if you’ve never done it before, then once you’re more comfortable, you can widen it safely.
Your audience should not be standing too close to make sure that they won’t be singed by accident. Finally, do not throw water on the liquid to extinguish it, as this will allow the fire to grow. Instead, use a damp towel.
While the ingredients of the cocktail are quite simple, the showmanship involved in creating it will delight your audience and add to the enjoyment of this delicious drink. If you take all necessary precautions, this can be a wonderful party trick that lends your gathering a unique touch.