Looking for a fresh and tasty drink? Let me tell you about the Whiskey Smash. It’s a cool mix of mint, lemon, and whiskey. It’s like a mix of a Mint Julep and a Lemonade but even better. Perfect for hot days or when you just want something delicious.
When you sip a Whiskey Smash, you’ll first taste the fresh mint and zesty lemon. It’s refreshing, with a sweet and sour kick. The whiskey gives it a smooth, warm feel, perfect for relaxing. It’s a great balance of flavors, making it a favorite for many.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 oz of whiskey
- Half a lemon, cut into pieces
- 4 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 oz of simple syrup
- Mint sprig for garnish
Follow these steps:
- In a shaker, muddle the lemon pieces and mint leaves with sugar.
- Add whiskey and fill the shaker with ice.
- Shake it well until it’s very cold.
- Strain into a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a mint sprig.
- Use fresh mint for the best taste.
- Muddle gently to release flavors, don’t mash too hard.
- Adjust sugar to your liking.
- Experiment with different whiskey types for new flavors.
Which Liquor Brands to Choose
For a great Whiskey Smash, try these brands:
- Buffalo Trace
- Maker’s Mark
- Bulleit Bourbon
- Woodford Reserve
- Wild Turkey
If you like this, try these too:
- Mint Julep – A classic, minty bourbon drink.
- Old Fashioned – A whiskey cocktail with bitters and sugar.
- Whiskey Sour – Whiskey, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Bourbon Lemonade – A simple mix of bourbon and lemonade.
- Peach Whiskey Smash – A peach variation of the original
The Whiskey Smash isn’t new. It’s been around since the 1800s. Jerry Thomas, a famous bartender, first mentioned it in his book. It’s a mix of old and new tastes, showing how classic drinks can still be popular.
Can I use other types of whiskey?
Yes, feel free to try different whiskeys.
What if I don’t have a shaker?
You can mix the ingredients in a glass, but shaking makes it colder and mixes flavors better.
Can I make it sweeter?
Sure, add more sugar if you like.
Is it a strong drink?
It’s moderate. The mix of lemon and mint balances the whiskey.
Can I make a non-alcoholic version?
Yes, just skip the whiskey and add more lemonade or sparkling water.
What is the difference between a Whiskey Smash and a Whiskey Sour?
The main difference between a Whiskey Smash and a Whiskey Sour is the addition of fresh mint and muddled fruit in a Whiskey Smash. A Whiskey Sour is made with whiskey, lemon juice, and simple syrup, and it is typically served in a chilled glass without ice. A Whiskey Smash, on the other hand, is served over ice and has a more complex flavor profile due to the addition of fresh mint and muddled fruit.
What makes a drink a smash?
A smash is a type of cocktail that is made with fresh fruit, herbs, and spirits. The key component of a smash is the muddled fruit, which is typically combined with sugar or simple syrup and fresh herbs like mint or basil. The mixture is then shaken with ice and strained into a glass over fresh ice.
So, that’s the Whiskey Smash – a perfect mix of sweet, sour, and minty flavors with a whiskey kick. Give it a try and enjoy the refreshing taste!
- 2 Oz Bourbon or Whiskey
- 1/2 Oz Simple Syrup
- 4-5 Mint Leaves
- 3 Large Lemon Wedges
- 1 Mint Sprig Garnish
- Muddle the mint and lemon together well
- Add in simple syrup, bourbon, and ice and shake until thoroughly mixed
- Strain and pour into a rocks glass over cubed ice
- Adorn the glass with a sprig of mint