Enter the world of delicious drinks. I’m thrilled to present my favorite, the Ricard Traditional Serve. It takes just a single sip to send you to France’s beautiful shores with this cocktail. Its unusual flavor and quick preparation make it a party favorite. Learn why this drink is a must-try and how to create it at home.
The Ricard Traditional Serve is a blend of sweet, herbal, and slightly licorice flavors, thanks to its main ingredient, Ricard Pastis. When mixed with water, it becomes a cloudy, refreshing drink that’s perfect for sipping on a warm day. Its aniseed flavor is bold but balanced, making it a wonderful choice for anyone looking to try something different.
Equipment and Glassware
You won’t need much to prepare this cocktail, which makes it even better. Grab a tall glass, a measuring jigger, and a spoon. That’s all! The tall glass helps in presenting the drink beautifully and ensures you get the perfect mix of flavors with every sip.
- 1 oz Ricard Pastis
- 5 oz cold water
These simple ingredients come together to create something truly special.
- Fill your tall glass with ice cubes.
- Pour 1 oz of Ricard Pastis over the ice.
- Add 5 oz of cold water.
- Stir well with a spoon.
- Enjoy your Ricard Traditional Serve!
- Use ice-cold water for the best taste.
- Adjust the water to find your perfect balance of flavor.
- Serve immediately after mixing to enjoy its full aromatic profile.
When to Serve
This cocktail is perfect for hot summer days, outdoor parties, or any time you’re looking for a refreshing and unique drink to cool down with. It’s also a great conversation starter!
Which Liquor Brands to Choose
For the Ricard Traditional Serve, sticking with Ricard Pastis is key. It’s the heart of the drink and using it ensures you get the authentic taste this cocktail is known for.
- Pernod Absinthe – offers a stronger aniseed flavor.
- Sazerac – a classic cocktail with a hint of licorice.
- French 75 – for those who love a citrus twist.
- Absinthe Drip – a traditional way to enjoy absinthe.
- Ouzo and Water – a Greek drink with a similar aniseed profile.
The Ricard Traditional Serve has its roots in France, where Pastis, a star ingredient, was created as a replacement for absinthe in the early 20th century. Ricard became the first commercial pastis to capture the hearts of the French with its unique blend of herbs and licorice.
Can I make it without ice? Yes, but ice enhances its refreshing quality.
Is it very strong? The drink is moderate in strength, with the water diluting the pastis to a pleasant level.
Can I add other ingredients? Traditionally, it’s enjoyed as is, but feel free to experiment with lemon or mint for a twist.
The Ricard Traditional Serve is more than just a drink; it’s a celebration of simplicity and flavor. Whether you’re a cocktail aficionado or new to the scene, this drink is sure to impress with its unique taste and easy preparation. Give it a try and see why it’s a favorite of mine!
- Ricard pastis
- Cold water
- Grab a highball glass and pour in 1 ounce of Ricard pastis.
- Pour in 5 ounces of cold water to the glass.
- Stir the mixture well to ensure that the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Add ice cubes to the glass.
- Stir the mixture again until it is well-diluted and chilled.
The best way to drink Ricard pastis is to mix it with cold water. This mixture is known as the milk of Marseille and is the traditional way to enjoy Ricard.
If you prefer a stronger drink, you can adjust the amount of water you add to the glass. You can also add more ice cubes to chill the drink further.