The Golden Cadillac is a creamy and delicious cocktail developed in the 1950s that has since become a favorite among dessert drink lovers. The Golden Cadillac is made with Galliano L’Autentico liqueur, white creme de cacao, and heavy cream, making it a sweet and decadent treat. The cocktail has a relatively low alcohol content, making it perfect for sipping after dinner or with dessert.
If you’re looking to try a new cocktail or want to impress your guests with a retro drink, the Golden Cadillac is definitely worth a try. With its creamy texture and sweet flavor, it’s sure to be a hit at any party. Plus, the drink’s unique history and connection to El Dorado, California, make it a fun conversation starter.
The Golden Cadillac is a retro cocktail that has been around since the 1950s. It was created at Poor Red’s Bar-B-Q in El Dorado, California, by a bartender named Frank Cline. The drink was originally made with Galliano, a sweet herbal liqueur, and white crème de cacao, a chocolate-flavored liqueur. It was then mixed with cream and served over ice.
The Golden Cadillac quickly became popular, especially among those who were looking for a sweet and creamy cocktail. It was often served as a dessert drink, thanks to its rich and indulgent flavor. The drink’s popularity spread beyond El Dorado, and it eventually became a classic cocktail that is still enjoyed today.
Despite its popularity, the Golden Cadillac fell out of favor in the 1970s, along with many other retro cocktails. However, it has recently made a comeback, thanks in part to the resurgence of classic cocktails and the popularity of creamy, indulgent drinks.
How to Make It
- ¾ oz Cream
- ¾ oz White crème de cacao liqueur
- ¾ oz Galliano L’Autentico liqueur
- Ice cubes
- Freshly shaved chocolate (optional)
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add Galliano, white crème de cacao, and heavy cream to the shaker.
- Shake the mixture vigorously until well-chilled.
- Strain the cocktail into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with freshly shaved chocolate, if desired.
- Use a chilled glass to keep your cocktail cold.
- Shave fresh chocolate for a delicious garnish.
- Experiment with different types of chocolate for a unique twist on the classic recipe.
- If you don't have a cocktail shaker, you can use a mason jar or any other container with a tight-fitting lid.
While the classic Golden Cadillac is a delicious dessert drink that has stood the test of time, there are many variations that you can try to mix things up. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
White Chocolate Cadillac
For a twist on the classic, try using white crème de cacao instead of the regular version. This will give your drink a sweeter, creamier taste that pairs well with chocolate desserts.
If you want a lighter version of the Golden Cadillac, try adding cola to the mix. This will give your drink a little fizz and cut down on the sweetness.
Half and Half
If you find the original recipe too heavy, try using half and half instead of heavy cream. This will give your drink a lighter texture without sacrificing flavor.
For a decadent after-dinner drink, try turning your Golden Cadillac into a chocolate martini. Simply add a shot of vodka and some chocolate syrup to the mix for a rich, indulgent treat.